Holy Cross 1909

OUR LADY of the HOLY CROSS CATHOLIC CHURCH
Baden, MO
Church built in 1909

HISTORIC DATES AND INFORMATION

1864
This is the year Holy Cross Parish was founded by Fr. Frederick Brinkhoff from it's mother church, Most Holy Trinity Parish of North St. Louis. The first church had 24 pews and seated about 168 people. The parishioners were primarily of German and French ancestry. In 1872 the Irish started their own church named, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, one block away on Church Road.
1909
On May 23rd Archbishop John J. Glennon dedicated the present church. It was designed by two architects from Cologne, Germany in a 13th century motif. It was the second church on this site. It cost $47,000 to build the exterior structure. The interior furnishings cost $8,231. In comparison the church was air conditioned in 1995 for $85,000.
 
The church is a GOTHIC STYLE ARCHITECTURE. The dimensions are 148 feet long and 54 feet in width. The height of the tower and steeple is 185 feet. Today the church seating capacity is 400.
1940
This is the year that Msgr. Martin B. Hellriegel was appointed pastor. Monsignor would be renowned world-wide for his knowledge of sacred liturgy and liturgical music. In 1943 he built a new side altar to the Blessed Mother. It includes a double triptych of moving panels which are common in Europe. It has a separate panel for the Patron Saint of each of the parish pastors. It also has a bronze panel listing the names of all the young men who fought in World War II. The side altar for St. Joseph was build in 1945 with a new baptismal font made of marble and copper. Both statues of Mary and Joseph were wood-carved by the St. Louis artist, Mr. Schneiderhahn, in 1878.
1989
The church sanctuary was renovated in accord with the liturgical renewal of Vatican Council II. The communion rail and front pews were replaced by a new marble altar and pulpit. The new presidential chair is made of oak. With these changes the main focus is on the altar of sacrifice with the high altar for the tabernacle.
 
Priest history of Holy Cross Click here.

Home
Mass Schedule
Bulletin

Newsletter
Service Schedule
Staff
History
Architecture
Stain Glass
Events
Weddings
In Memory
Articles
Contact Us
Links

Our Lady of the Holy Cross Catholic Church, 8115 Church Road, St. Louis MO 63147
Tel: (314) 381-0323 Fax: (314) 381-4828 olhc2@msn.com